News from the CIUSSS

Notice: use of heaters or outdoor cooking appliances indoors

Due to the outages, many citizens are trying to use space heaters or outdoor cooking appliances indoors, in their homes. This poses a major risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is generated by combustion.

We remind you that propane heating or cooking appliances must be used outdoors.
Barbecues or camping equipment must under no circumstances be used as an alternative source of heating, or for cooking indoors. Fuel-powered appliances (e.g. oil, gas, wood, gasoline, coal, propane) must not be used in your home.
We invite the population to move to warming stations and emergency shelters set up by the city, or to large heated public spaces such as libraries, shopping centers, etc.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Visual disturbances (problems with vision)
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • In more severe cases, loss of consciousness and convulsions may occur, and even death.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 right away.


 Website of the Montreal Public Health government portal – Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning

 Qué government portal – Power outage

 List of warming stations - City of Montreal

 List of emergency shelters - City of Montreal

Page last updated on 

We always seek feedback to make our site better.