the MISSIVE program at Donald Berman Maimonides June 26 – July 22, 2023
Join the MISSIVE program at Donald Berman Maimonides Geriatric Centre this summer for an unforgettable and enriching experience offering hands-on experience with healthcare professionals
WHAT IS MISSIVE?
MISSIVE is a unique summer volunteer program for students aged 17+ who are contemplating a career in a healthcare related profession.
- 4-week summer program operating three days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) offers students plenty of free time for any other commitments
- Located out of Donald Berman Maimonides Geriatric Centre in Cote Saint Luc; one of the largest long-term care centres in the province at the forefront of long-term care.
WHAT WILL I DO?
- Hands-on experience in various departments (numerous opportunities in fields such as Nursing, Recreation, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Social Services, Risk Management)
- Attend educational seminars ( workshops, lectures, films)
- Have the opportunity to work as a member of a dynamic healthcare team
WHAT WILL I GAIN?
- Experience working with older adults
- Career opportunities
- Development of interpersonal skills
- New friends and contacts
- Personal satisfaction
- Reference letters
- Certificate of completion
If you would like more information, please contact Yousra André Yousra.firstname.lastname@example.org | 514-340-8222 ext. 25983
The role of the Department of Volunteer Services is to improve the quality of life and the emotional well-being of the resident. Hundreds of volunteers give almost 30,000 hours of their time on an annual basis and are involved in all areas of the Centre where they play a vital role in enhancing the therapeutic milieu. As part of an interdisciplinary team, the department keeps abreast of the needs and concerns of the residents and their families. Donald Berman Maimonides Geriatric Centre honours the hundreds of multicultural volunteers (from 11 years old to ninety years young) whose compassion and commitment has made a difference in the lives of our residents.
Would you like more information about volunteering at Maimonides?
Download this manual in PDF format for more information on Maimonides and the Department of Volunteers.
Volunteer Services: Patti Derstenfeld – 514-483-2121 ext. 2213
Email address: email@example.com
“Dining Assistance” program
Assist residents to eat and socialize at mealtime. 2 hour compulsory training provided. Choice of Lunch or Supper any day of the week. Minimum commitment one meal per week.
- Lunch – 11:25- 1:45 p.m.
- Dinner – 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Fiestas : Tuesdays 1-3:30 p.m.
Garden Parties: Mondays 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
BBQs and Pizza lunches: Fridays 11a.m. – 1:30
Outings: Thursdays 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Spend 1-2 hours per week visiting with individual residents.
Assist Therapeutic Recreation staff with a Bingo game on Saturdays 1-3
If you have a lovable pet, you can visit together in residents’ rooms minimum 1x weekly.
Assist resident participation with music animator on unit
- Thursday 10 a.m. - noon
Piano Lobby Concerts
Play our Baby Grand piano in the lobby – Flexible schedule weekdays between 10-3:30 p.m.
Read to residents. Flexible schedule
Games with residents
Socialize and play card games, dominos, chess and board games with residents.
- Mid- afternoons weekdays - weekends
Accompany residents to receive dental treatment (in the Centre)
- Fridays 8:30 a.m. - till 12:15 p.m. or 1-3 p.m.
Coffee Shop Cashier
Volunteer cashiers needed in our coffee shop.
Weekday shifts: 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or 12:30 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.
Bring residents to Synagogue Services
- Saturday 9:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Sunday Family Concert
Accompany residents to large entertainment event on site.
- 1:30-4:00 p.m.